Thursday, March 10, 2005

Here's a scary thought...

What if everyone in the world were forced to write a blog entry everyday?

Apart from the dictatorial overtones, I can only imagine the good that would come from having every single persons thoughts broadcast through a medium that could technically be accessed by just about anyone in the world.

Of course I'm not saying that everyone should just write whatever they think, like "Boy, would I ever like to bludgeon my boss to death with a dead tuna," or "Today I made a big poop that was the colour of creamed spinach and it smelled like Apple Jacks." Unless that kind of thing floats your boat.

But imagine this: everyday, every man, woman and child over the age of 6 would have to write a blog entry. Nothing long or meaningful. They could just leave one word if they wanted to.

But imagine how much thought people would put into it. No one ever says just one word, especially if the public's around to hear it. People would be forced to put a cohesive thought together and write it out in a sentence. And think about the improvement in grammar and spelling! Nobody wants to look like an idiot (and even if they do, they do so wittingly) so they'd be forced to think about the spelling of they're and their and there.

And once you get past the grudging "Oh, fine, here's my mandatory blog post of the day", they might even start to talk about interesting things, like "Today, I almost killed my boss, but decided the repercussions were too great, and I hate the Jello they serve in jail."

Stress relief! Just like diaries, they would allow people to release some tension and (anonymously) gripe about their lives.

Sure, enforcing this system would require major revolution in the computing and identity industries, but I still think it'd be neat. Maybe if everyone earned Internet access time based on the length of their blogs, anoymously tracked through email accounts. I dunno, I'm no wizard, and barely practical when it comes to revolution, but a girl can dream.

1 comment:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

I had an english teacher in college that made the class keep a diary every day. It was a pain at first, but I grew to love it. Online is even better, because you can get feedback on your entries.
Keep it up!