Monday, March 28, 2005

The Appalling Race Roundup

From former Ray vs Denise champion, Denise Ing:

***

Thank you to everyone who hosted an event for Raymond vs Denise 2: The Appalling Race. It was truly challenging to both Raymond and myself as evidenced by the close scores throughout.

11AM - Effie created an impressively elaborate scavenger hunt that had Raymond running away with a victory. In contrast, I ran into some branches and cut my lip. I quickly turned this to my advantage by telling everyone Raymond punched me in the face. Nonetheless, the score was Raymond-3, Denise-2

1PM - Met for competitive lunch in Koreatown. Joined by Jon, Amy, Jenn and Edwin. Elaborate Rock,
Paper & Scissors rules were quickly thrown out the window because Raymond was "starving". Raymond got the non-spicy appetizer and spicy main dish. I got the spicy appetizer and non-spicy main dish. No points were awarded but Raymond and I both got our rewards when we left our "friends" to deal with the bill. Thanks, guys!

2PM - Outdoorsy Fiona and Heny decided to test our survival skills. For almost an hour, Raymond and I struggled to start a fire with a piece of flint and an Ikea butter knife. Raymond created a single whopping fire that soon died out. I created three fires that died out even more quickly. Unclear on who was more pathetic, Fiona and Heny awarded equal points to us. Raymond -5, Denise-4.

3PM - In the true spirit of The Amazing Race, Jennifer and Edwin allowed us to choose our task: count or calculate. I chose to count tiny shell pasta. Raymond chose to calculate the income tax return of Harry Potter. Points were awarded on accuracy. Equal accuracy meant a tie except for the fact that Raymond finished first. Raymond-6, Denise-4. Special note: Jenn and Edwin had spent 3 hours counting tiny shell pasta in preparation for the event. It was worth it!

5PM - On arriving at Jennie and Jason's, Raymond did not find an early arrival bonus. Instead, Raymond and I raced up the stairs to the 31st floor to see who would get the bonus. Instead, we became lightheaded and exhausted at the same time. We were then ushered to a dual Scrabble/Puzzle game. Again, Raymond and I came out with equal points - previously unheard of in Scrabble. Raymond-8, Denise-6.

7PM - A relaxing round of Simpsons trivia awaited us at Joe's place. I prevailed with knowledge of Flander's store (The Leftorium) and Germany (The Land of Chocolate). Raymond lost due to ignorance of Radioactive Man's sidekick (Fallout Boy) and Apu's last name (who really knows?). Raymond-9, Denise-9.

8PM - Back to Jennie and Jason's for an unexpectedly elaborate challenge: The Tin Chef. With a budget of $20 each, Raymond and I had to create edible/tasty dishes with oranges! With little experience, Raymond and I managed to impress judges with bowels of steel (Fiona, Jason and Jennie) with our creativity and nerve. Raymond's chicken and orange stirfry impressed both the judges and Raymond. But my whopping five dishes of orangey goodness won the judges over. Raymond-11, Denise-12.

10PM - In the final event, Jon and Amy boldly snubbed the embarrassment rule and had the opponents eat chocolate pudding without their hands. Raymond demonstrated that "it is not about speed, it's all in the rhythm" and won by a longshot. Final score: Raymond-15, Denise-12.

Again, thanks for all the effort and enthusiasm. Be sure to catch this summer's blockbuster: RVD 3, a cheap cash-in on the first two installments.

Denise

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am victorious! Muhahahaha!!!

- Ray

Flocons said...

I also have... a blog! Muhahaha!

- Ray

Anonymous said...

haha so when's rvd3? the tiebreaker?