Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Star Wars Symphony in a word:

FUCKINAWESOME!!!

There's nothing quite like live music, and there's absolutely NOTHING like hearing the 20th Century Fox theme crashing in your eardrums just before the theme opening that goes: BA! DA-DA-DUM!! DUM-DUM DUM-DUM DUM-DUM-DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM STAAAAR WARS! EMPIRE STRIIIIIIIKES BACK! RETURN OF THE JEEEEE-DI! BA-DA-DA-DUM!!!!

Most amazing of all is the amount of work a musician will do to add to the sound. I watched the harpist plucking away at the opening theme and couldn't hear her for the life of me, yet I knew she was adding an incredible amount of depth to the tune. Watching the strings sawing away made me really wish I had been a good Chinese girl and taken up the violin, and hearing the Princess Leia theme played on the flute made me wish I had kept on with it (and then one time in band camp...)

John Williams is god. I never realized how much of the orchestra he utilizes in his work - he seems to make sure every instrument gets its time in the spotlight.

Anyhoo, more gibbering and salivating later. John wants to watch the Daily Show now.

No comments: