Monday, June 06, 2005

On a blogging role

John's been absorbed doing crosswords lately and I've just realized that I've been neglecting my blog, so I'm making up for lost time.

On the omnipresent topic of Karla Holmolka's iminent departure from jail: well, whatever. They made a bargain with her, and the last thing the justice system should do is renege on it. Sure, she's a horrible psychopath who should have her eyeballs replaced with cameras so we know where she is every minute of the day, but think about it: if the justice system can just take away a bargain like that, what's to say they don't do it to someone who's completely innocent?

On a completely different topic: what do you say to someone who is mutually divorcing their long-time spouse? Congratulations? Sorry to hear that? My condolences? I had this conversation with a co-worker on the bus today, and the woman beside me burst out laughing, heartily agreeing with our assessment of this awkward situation.

There should probably be a whole new vocabulary and category of communication to deal with this. Maybe saying, "My condolulations," followed by some kind of handshake and consoling pat-on-the-shoulder-combination. Or how about "That's bacheloresque, my friend, can I buy you a drink to mollify your joy?" followed by imbibing of the modest kind (enough to get you tipsy, but not enough to get you messed.)

Someone out there help me: I'm sure other people have run into this/will run into it.

No comments: