Friday, May 06, 2005

Who thought the two-tiered health system would cost so much?

Um, well, just about everyone. But at least I'm a) covered by my work health insurance, and b) finally getting treatment and advice on my tummy troubles, versus the "yeah, that happens, nothing you can do about it" line.

So on the advice of my massage therapist, I went to see a naturopathic doctor about my stomach and after much probing and prodding, both on the Q & A and the physical level, she prescribed me some vitamins, digestive enzymes, and other things I seem to be lacking. Her diagnosis (and I may have it wrong, but this is what I understand from it):

1. My andrenal gland isn't working properly, causing my body a lot of stress. This includes the dizzy spells I get when I stand up and the more recent racing heart that comes out of nowhere. I even had a panic attack a couple of nights back - something I've never had before. It's also interferring with how I deal with regular work stress. All this tied together is affecting my digestion as well. Man, I knew my boss would be the death of me.

2. I'm missing a digestive enzyme that's making me all gassy and bloaty. Eeew. So I'm taking those too.

3. I need more vitamin B. Apparently, being on the pill saps that away, so you need lots of it.

So expect to hear more about my bowels over the next little while. Apparently, my pee is supposed to turn radioactive yellow from the vitamin B. Anyone out there wanna see pictures?

Fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Vic,

Ever heard of Beano? It's a pill and it works.

And you're not lactose intolerant, are you? Or have you increased the amount of fibre you're eating? Both happened to me and caused all the same symptoms.

I'll skip on the offer of the pee, but I do I have a great pic of your belly from the wedding!

Heading to BC @ 5am tomorrow (gack!) so I'll look forward to catching up with you next weekend.

Take care - degas soon!

C