Friday, May 20, 2005

Better late than never

It occurs to me that I should say something about the recent defection of Belinda Stronarch to the federal Liberal Party, and the government's recent "win" on the budget/non-confidence vote, even if it I am a little behind in mentioning it.

For one, I don't think I've ever been as captivated by Canadian politics as I have been over the last two weeks. Had you asked me how Parliament worked before then, I would have shrugged and said, "Muhn-nuh-nuh." And if you asked me now, I'd say, "Muh. But it seems to."

First off, yay for Team Evil not winning! I'm not a big fan of Steven Harper and the Conservatives. For one, Harper looks totally like an evil robot. I mean, he's so pasty, and his face looks like a mask that is just a bit too big for his robotic head. Also, his eyes are too pale and blue. Like he pulls them out of the freezer every morning and pops them in nice and fresh. I don't think there's anything good about him, really, since he is playing for Team Evil. Maybe he's a decent man and doesn't eat babies, but who can really say? Has he ever denied that he eats babies? Maybe he's afraid of alienating his baby-eating constituents. Which is it, Harper? WHICH IS IT???

And Belinda: well, I'm not sure I like you any better, especially if you broke poor evil Peter Mackay's heart (because evil people deserve love too). But you did what you "thought was right," and left Team Evil for the good guys, like Storm Shadow in the G.I. Joe cartoon. Well, at least you're with the good side... but I'm watching you.

Well, that about sums up my take on the whole affair. Not terribly enlightening or educated, I know, but you didn't come here for a revelation now, did you?

No comments: