Friday, May 08, 2009

Listening to God FAIL --or-- "Thank God for the Internet"

It was one of THOSE days.

You know, where you wake up late, realizing if you don't get out of the house in exactly thirteen minutes you'll miss that succession of subways and buses that'll get you to work at 5 minutes past nine rather than at 9:30, making you late for the company quarterly meeting and humiliating you for all time as you sheepishly slink in to face 400 seated people and your CEO and noisily try to find a seat, then spend the next 2 hours telling your growling stomach to shut up because it hasn't gotten its fill of oatmeal.

Yeah, well, fortunately, none of that actually happened.

I did, however, lock myself out of the house. While the family and the fiance were out of the country. And with no spare key to be found among relatives or friends.

You see, in my rush to avoid the above scenario, I'd left my keys in some unknown realm. The worst part was that 1% of my brain was convinced I'd left them in the door overnight and someone had taken them and I would come home to a house devoid of valuables.

Panicking through most of the meeting, afterward I immediately started emailing my brother-in-law, also named John, except I seriously doubted he'd check his personal email at work. I went on a mad hunt for a chain of phone numbers that would hopefully lead me to discover his cell phone number. I realized then that his work email was saved on my work email contacts list, and from that, I derived where he worked, Googled the company contact, and finally, finally reached him to confirm he'd be home and I'd be able to get into the house tonight.

Not that it helped that 1% of my brain that houses the worst-case scenario cell. I'd dreamed earlier in the week the house had been robbed because a door had been left open. And I had a feeling all week I would do something just like this. I'm not a religious person, but I just KNEW God was leaving me signs to check for my keys. My apartment door was unlocked before I left this morning, which I thought strange. It immediately told me "check for your keys--something wasn't locked!" to which I mentally responded, "Shut up, brain!" and closed the door behind me BEFORE searching for my keys in my purse.

Yeah. So that was my day. Happily, it ended with a glass of merlot that had me smashed in minutes. Good times.

No comments: