Monday, May 25, 2009

Another great first!

Every aspiring writer just LOVES to look back at their old work and rehash the wonder of their scribblings. Sometimes they're good...and something they're cancerous.

Well, now I present to you a regular (I hope) feature of scans from my childhood works. See, at my old elementary alma mater, the curriculum encouraged a lot of creative writing and drawing, so every day in Mrs. Sheldon's class, we would spend a part of the morning writing and illustrating a little story in our workbooks. We were also required to dictate stories to the teacher, who'd write them out for us in her neat printing, while we illustrated.

Here I present my first story, untitled, a gritty vignette about urban domesticity among working-class, first generation Canadian-born Chinese in downtown Toronto.

I wrote this on my first day of grade one, when I was six years old. This is probably the first piece of writing I have ever done.


If you're trying to figure out what everyone in the picture is doing: Jenny is watching TV (as evidenced by the cable box with the rabbit ears); my Dad is feeding fish in the tank; I am at the table eating; Fiona is skateboarding (there's lots of skateboarding in my stories); and my mother is drinking coffee (you can tell my the brown steam lines).

I think the story pretty much sums up our life twenty-three years later.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

If Dad hadn't given away our skateboard I'd bet we'd still be doing those same things today.

Yay I'm purple! How come Dad and I are different colours and you, Fi, and Mom are blue? Is Dad covered in fishtank algae and I have TV radiation?

Heather said...

More please!