Saturday, April 30, 2005

May I present to you...

Jodi Avery and Brad McLean, married couple. Together at last in matrimony and financial assets. Congratulations guys!

It was a beautiful wedding, regardless of how jaded I am towards these things. Lovely, heartfelt speeches by all, lots of tears from all the wedding party, giggles from march down the aisle to first dance. Almost makes me want to have a wedding of my own. As long as there are Ewoks and Imperial Stormtroopers there. No droids though. We don't serve their kind here.

Unfortunately, John started burning up with a fever, so I took him home when the dancing started. I may be coming down with it too - I can feel the tickle in the back of my throat. So Carly, if you or Eric or anyone else comes down with anything, you can blame John, even though he tried very hard not to shake anyone's hand. (Thanks for reading!)

I think part of my personal resistance to the whole concept of weddings is that in most modern day relationships - where the couple lives together and consummates their relationship before the big day - there's very little change in the situation after the fact. And people spend exorbitant amounts of time and money arranging these days, and often end up in debt afterwards. They force relatives and friends and other acquaintances who may not get along well to sit together for hours, awkwardly, if not drunkenly. (No, not you Jodi and Brad, everything at your shindig was perfect.)

It's all well and good, I suppose, if you're in a situation where you haven't ever seen your partner naked, or when you don't live together. Weddings act as the group acknowledgement to the two of you having sex. "Cheers!" They whoop as they drink to your future boot-knocking. "You may now shtupp as much as you like!"

Of course it's not all about the money or bad relations. I'd love to have a big party to celebrate - I just don't want to do the white dress and walking down the aisle and having bridesmaids and speeches and flowers and what not. Tradition is the killer of invention, imagination, and innovation.

For me, it would be enough if John accepted me for his wife 'til the end of days. I mean, isn't that enough?

Well, maybe that, and if Elvis were to preside over the ceremony. With Wookiees as witnesses.

(P.S. John, if you want to have a wedding, I would very much love for you to plan it. Maybe a giant lan party? Where we get to shoot Nazis until a beer and pizza dinner is wheeled around to us? By Imperial Guards, no less! Man, that would be so FREAKIN' COOL!!)

1 comment:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Just look at what the pressure of the wedding did to that chick who ran away and said she was kidnapped.

Although it's easy to say NOW, if I had to do it over again, I'd push for elopement. It was a fun party, but wayyyy too much work. And stress.

And I'm not even sure we got the acknowledgement that we could shtupp all we wanted to, although we did anyways.