Friday, March 14, 2008

A case of circumbendibus

This was in my word-a-day e-mail today:

This week's theme: 14-letter words, 14-letter definitions.

circumbendibus (sur-kuhm-BEN-duh-buhs) noun

Circumlocution.


[From Latin circum- (around) + English bend + Latin -ibus.]

-Anu Garg (words at wordsmith.org)

"There are times when [George] Steiner does the exact opposite, dressing up banalities in the most clotted, Latinate and circumbendibus waffle in order to make them appear profound."
Christopher Hart; Speaking in Tongues; Sunday Times (London, UK);
Jan 6, 2008.

Now, I'm not a smart person, but I really, really hate it when I have to riffle through the dictionary in order to understand a definition for a word I just looked up.

Dear dictionary writers of the world: don't use hard words to describe other hard words....

No comments: