Tuesday, February 01, 2005

On Gabriel Knight, and other obsessions

I love adventure games. I've always been a big fan of Sierra's classic third-person quest games, including King's Quest, Hero's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, and of course, Leisure Suit Larry.

Those of you who've played any of these games are familiar with the get-this-to-do-that method of these quests. But more recently, I've discovered Sierra's gem series, Gabriel Knight.

I won't go into too deeply into it, since I'm sure you can Google it and find out more. Basically, a guy from an ancient line of demon hunters does good.

In my opinion, the best of the series is the latest, Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, released in 1999. I picked it up for a couple of bucks at the CNE this past year. Wow. Amazing storyline eerily crafted by author Jane Jensen. The best part is, it follows the mystery of Rennes-le-Chateau -- for those of you who've read the Da Vinci Code, you know where the story goes.

Interestingly enough, Jensen based the idea of GK3 on a book called Holy Blood, Holy Grail. The authors of this book are suing Dan Brown for lifting their research and ideas. I wonder if Jensen will say anything about it...

Anyhoo, just shooting the shit. I'm surprised you've even read this far.

Next time: more ways to waste your valuable time.

No comments: