Monday, February 21, 2005

Disney sucks

Not that I have a huge grudge against them for any reason, but with the exception of the stuff they've done with Pixar, Disney hasn't produced anything remotely original or interesting in terms of animated feature films. I guess that's why they bought Studio Ghibli's stuff.

Now, I absolutely worship Miyazaki. He's a storytelling genius and he doesn't impose saccharine morales or cultural and societal values (aka the "beautiful Princess gets the handsome prince"-syndrome) into his work. He's a genius artist and super-talented writer, like Neil Gaiman and Alex Ross rolled into one. I guess I can't begrudge him for going to Disney for distribution. But I think it says something about the state of American-made animation.

Disney, for one, has fallen onto the easy buck: making "II" movies that are so poorly animated they give me cancer. Sure, the II movies have their moments: Aladdin and the King of Thieves wasn't so bad. And Disney had its first ever break-up in Pocahontas II: a new white guy to shag.
But overall, they haven't had an Academy-award-worthy major film with song and dance since The Lion King. (I would vouch for Lilo and Stitch, my fave of the Disneys, but it doesn't have that BIGNESS to it the Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast, or even the Little Mermaid had).

Instead, we've been getting those half-assed hour-and-a-half-long tales like Brother Bear, and Treasure Planet that are just...okay.

What happened to "wow, that was an amazing movie! I can't believe it was a cartoon!"

I'm sure I could rant more on this, but I have no proper way of organizing my thoughts my I'm junked out on my medication just now. And I feel dizzy, so more later.

No comments: