Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Big city, little city

I've been freelancing for a new website, iBegin.com, which is a Toronto-based business search engine that is built upon reviews, pictures, and tags from the community. As I review all the stores, restaurants and services I know, starting with my own neighbourhood in the Annex, I begin to realize just how huge this city is, and how little I know about it.

I realize I pass the same store every day, but have never gone in. I realize I've never noted the names of some of my favourite stores and restaurants. I realize there are dozens of missed opportunities because I've never simply steeled my resolve and just stepped into a store to explore and sate a curiosity that has never been piqued.

And then I realize that some stores just don't warrant entering because of bad marketing. Boring displays, old merchandise, sloppy, dirty storefronts, and so on just don't inspire me to walk in and say, hmm, I wonder if they have anything I could buy...

Weird how that works.

No comments: