Friday, December 09, 2005

Snow blows

Like most of Toronto, I woke up this morning to a world of swirling white snow and foot-high snow drifts. I got to work late, taking the mostly reliable TTC, but not as late as the regular drivers, who braved the slippery roads to get to work on a Friday.

I don't know why or how Canadians do it, even though I've been doing it all my life. We trek through extreme ends of the weather spectrum just to go to work. We put our lives in danger to go to a job most of us would rather not be doing. Does this make sense to anyone?

Then I heard a conversation in the bathroom that pretty much summed it up for me:

Woman 1: "The drive was terrible. I don't know why we bother, sometimes."
Woman 2: "Yeah."
Woman 1: "But we want money. Boy, the things we do for money."
Woman 2: "I hear that."

No comments: