Tuesday, December 13, 2005

FanFiction Ahoy!

If I'd have known how involved I'd get with writing fanfiction, well, I would have quit my job.
I've published my second story now, along with a few drabbles, and my latest story has gotten nearly 5000 hits and over 100 reviews. That's right, more hits than I get on this blog in a single year in less than 2 weeks.

This tells me a few interesting things:
1) Avatar: The Last Airbender is HUGE. It is especially big in the states, as it is a property of Nickelodeon, makers of Spongebob, and The Fairly Odd Parents, among others.
2) Fans really have nothing better to do than make up stories about their favourite shows/books/movies/games. Yours truly included.
3) Fanfic has a place in the world. Once upon a time it was left to the Lord of the Rings and Star Trek nerds of the world. Now you can write fanfic on just about anything.

On a side note, Harry Potter has a huge fanfic following, but what really freaks me out about that is that one of the recurring shippings (relationship pairings) is... gag... Hermione and Snape.

Oh so very wrong and creepy.

No comments: