Friday, August 19, 2005

Like a Rolling Stone

Apparently, the Rolling Stones and Dan Ackroyd showed up for drinks at my parents' karaoke bar, The Boat, last week.

My gut reaction:
Whoa. What the hell are they doing at that dump?

What I said:
"Whoa. What the hell are they doing at that dump, and without Mick?"

For those of you who don't know, my parents own a building in Kensington Market (Toronto) which houses their hardware store (a 21-year-old business) and a Portuguese dining hall/lounge (also very old). When the manager of the original Boat told us he needed a new business partner, my father accepted on the condition that the failing restaurant be turned into a karaoke bar for the older Asian crowd.

It's been relatively stable, but not terribly lucrative. More recently, they've been hosting jazz club nights for various artists to come and play. Not a bad location, now that the market is home to some very trendy hot spots like The Marketplace. Still, not the nicest place to be. Certainly not a place I'd chalk up to playing host to the Stones.

I don't have details and neither of my parents were there, but I was told all the Stones - sans Mick - and Dan show up and have a party. It wasn't karaoke night - you'd think getting up and singing was the last thing these guys want to do with their time off - but I've been told they tipped $10 per bottle of beer.

That's all I know about it. If I ahd pictures or proof, I'd have put it up by now.

1 comment:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

That sounds it woud have been a fun night to be there.

As long as Ackroyd didn't sing.