Monday, July 13, 2009

Interactivity Challenge! What's in a Name?

In a chicken and the egg dilemma, I have been staring down the inevitability of choosing a pen name and establishing a web presence by registering a domain, building a website, and starting up a separate Blogger blog. I tried this earlier when I'd finished my first draft on my first book, but as I hadn't chosen anything or even nailed down any choices.

No, I haven't sold a book...yet, but when I do (stay optimistic!) I want to be able to post the news somewhere that "isn't me."

It's a totally counter-intuitive choice--I'm not even willing to take John's name when we get married, but as many articles and advice column suggest, romance authors choosing nom de plumes should take on identities and stick to them. I've never been anything other than me, and I'm rather sheepishly unapologetic about it (why yes, that is an oxymoron, but so am I). So how do you go about turning yourself into someone else?

First step seems to be in choosing a name. (The Human Spider!)

So far, I've chosen Victory as a first name: there are already a lot of Vickies and Victorias, so I'm going to try to separate myself from the pack a little while maintaining my "real" name.

Any suggestions for a last name? I've played with the following: vote for your fave, or suggest your own! The criteria: it has to be available as a domain name and a Blogger blog name (e.g. victoryessex.blogspot.com; www.victoryessex.com, www.victoryessex.net, etc.)

  1. Victory Essex
  2. Victory Soto
  3. Victory McGrath
  4. Victory Jones
  5. Victory So
  6. Other...?

No closing date set for this challenge yet...but I'll be providing a real prize if you suggest the name I go with! (Think T-shirt and books and fun crap!)

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Victory Amour; Victory Charme; Victory Love; Victory Ford...

Flocons said...

If you would let it be a last name, I would suggest Donna Victory.

Heather said...

How about Victory Song? I think it's cool that it's a Chinese surname & and English word & it sort of builds on So. Maybe it's a bit too phrasy, though maybe that's sort of cool, too? Victory Sung?

Heather said...

Oh! And if you ever write for the NASCAR line, you could be Victory Lapp! Hee hee! :D

celestialspeedster said...

I find Victory a mouthful but how about:
Victory Hence
Victory Forth
Victoria Victor
Vicki Heat
V.C. Andrews
Just So
And the t-shirt is quickly out of my reach.