Saturday, July 04, 2009

30 km might be easier if there was lots of shopping on the way...

Since I've been sick with laryngitis, I haven't been able to do my usual workout, but I got back into training for the big Weekend to End Breast Cancer walk today, and boy howdy, gravity and my weak stomach were really trying to take me out. Did 14.31 km in about 5 hours (with lots of shopping and a couple of quick bathroom stops.)

Found that the khaki shorts I was wearing--casual things I got at Bluenotes--were a little too long and didn't give me much in the way of comfort for a walk this "intense". So I stopped at Old Navy and picked up a pair of teeny-tiny running shorts for, like $7.25 (they had a 50% off summer hot picks sale. Woot!) I even got the matching running bra top so that I'll be forced to work off some of my gut before I can wear it in public...which will likely be never.

A lot of people don't really understand why I'm training the way I am. They don't have a concept of what 30 km is to walk.

Well, here are some examples of 30 km walks, mapped out via Google Earth:

  • If you started at Exhibition Place and headed north via the most direct street route, you could walk to Vaughn Mills/Wonderland in 30 km.
  • If you started at the bottom of Yonge Street and kept heading north, after 30 km you'd be in Richmond Hill, just north of Gamble Rd./19th Ave.
  • If you were to drive 30 km on the 401, you could start at Yonge and 401 and end up at Brock Road in Pickering.
  • If you were to travel 30 km on the TTC Bloor/Danforth subway line, you could start at Kipling station, ride all the way to Kennedy station, and continue on the Scarborough LRT to Ellesmere station.
So yeah. I'm training. Good thing shopping is a good incentive for all this exercise.

2 comments:

Flocons said...

Do you have to do the whole 30km in one day? I mean, it's the WEEKEND to End Breast Cancer. You have 2 days, no? How do they handle that? Is it the honour system where you just start off on Sunday where you left off on Saturday?

Vicki said...

Nope, it's 30km per day--I'm only doing the one-day event, so I'm walking 30 km on Saturday. For the 2-day event, you walk 60km--30 km to the campsite, then you camp overnight (they have a crazy tent city, apparently, and feed your and entertain you and everything), and then 30km back.