Friday, April 17, 2009

WEBC Walking Update

Walked home from Pape Station today, which amounted to just a bit over 7 km in my effort to train for the WEBC. I haven't decided if my running shoes are the right ones to wear yet, though. They served me fairly well in Vegas walking up and down the strip, but I feel like I need more spring in my step. Maybe a few extra insoles will help.

Got my first call from my walking coach today, and received a package from the WEBC people with a pair of pink retractable earbuds I can use to listen to podcasts with. Pretty nifty.

Thanks to a lot of generous donors, I'm up to 62% of my fundraising goal, but I want to raise as much as I can. I've been toying with the idea of getting some custom magnetic poetry made up with romance words to build Harlequin Presents-esque titles. The only problem is that the minimum order would be, like, 500. I don't think I can sell that many...or have the funds to cover that amount. I could use some of them to give away as gifts/promos, etc. But I'm not certain this is the way to go.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

4 comments:

Flocons said...

I think the magnetic poetry idea is genius. It's fairly low overhead, and nothing sell better than tongue-in-cheek smut. (I use the term smut endearingly.)

If you are scared off by the need to buy 500 sheets, you can try a DIY approach. My friend bought blank sheets of magnetic material and printed weddings invite on large sticker labels. He stuck the labels onto the magnetic material. Voila... Instant magnetic wedding invite to keep on the fridge.

celestialspeedster said...

Your personal connection to the cause should be enough of a reason for family, friends and acqaintances to donate. I don't think you need a chotchkey to turn your fundraising into a consumer-oriented enterprise. Personally, I would be happy with hilarious anecdotes of your training progress.
If you must include a gift, please do not make it pink. I am so fed up with the commercialization of the Pink Ribbon campaign.
PS I can guarantee a donation - just not right now.

Jen said...

you could get those pages of sticker labels and draw up your own little characters and sayings then photocopy them a bunch of times

Fi said...

True what Jen said. A cute booby character with a clever saying instead of many tedious little words to make. Btw, I am also a guaranteed donation.