Monday, April 06, 2009

Mmm, popped ribs


According the the deep tissue massage therapist, the cause of my recent chest pain scare is a popped rib, which he proceeded to shift back into place.

It never occurred to me that I could do something like that with the limited physical labor I perform on a daily basis (though I've certainly hurt my lower back and gluts plenty of times), but then I remembered turning in a funny way while I was on the bus and being in excruciating pain. I had to hold in my scream and chew on my knuckle. I'm sure the woman sitting next to me probably thought I was crazy for those five minutes. That was more than a month ago.

I assumed I was fine, but then last week I woke up in agony, with crushing pain gripping my upper chest and sides. It took a while for the ibuprofen to kick in, and in the meantime Telehealth Ontario wanted to send an ambulance for me, but in the end, I just went back to sleep and decided it was probably just a spasm.

Not so. I have an injury worthy of a professional athlete...just from daily commuting.

Conclusion: I'm getting OOOOOOLLLLLLLD.

4 comments:

celestialspeedster said...

I first started having back problems when I was a teenager. I also twisted my ankle a lot, just from walking down the stairs.

I'm older now but I'm also more active; I do yoga to strengthen my back and improve my balance. Running helps, too. As a result, I suffer less from random injuries caused by daily activities, because my muscles are stronger and more flexible.

Conclusion: you need to do more yoga.

Dangard Ace said...

Yoga? Bah. YOU. EFF. CEE.

Vicki said...

Actually, I have been doing yoga, but I think since the injury, it's only aggravated the rib. Same with pilates. I have to be really, really careful, otherwise I'm going to really damage something, methinks.

God, I am so broken. I should just give up and commit myself to a bed now.

Flocons said...

Celestialspeedster offers good advice. But conversely, if you eliminated all physical activity from your life and surrounded yourself with a heavy layer of cushioning fat, you will also protect your bones and muscles from injury. :)