Thursday, April 09, 2009

Of Great Import

I'm taking time out from my regularly scheduled irreverence to write about something very important to me and to thousands of women (and men) everywhere.

This past year, two women very close to me were diagnosed with breast and uterine cancer. They are both currently receiving treatment and care. I have been in awe of their strength and courage, and now, I am finally able to do something more than just stand at the sidelines and watch helplessly as they endure rounds of surgery, radio, chemo, and hormone therapy.

On September 11, 2009, I will be walking in the 30 km event at the Princess Margaret Hospital's Weekend to End Breast Cancer.

This annual event draws thousands of people every year and encourages them to raise funds for breast cancer and other women's cancer research and therapies.

As a participant, I am required to raise a minimum of $1,250.00, but I hope to raise more.

I'm asking anyone and everyone to please donate whatever you can at my web page. It'll only take 13 donors contributing $100 each to get me to my goal; or, if you prefer, 25 people donating $50. But any and all donations are welcome, and you will receive a tax receipt for all donations.

The last day for donations in September 14, 2009. So if you're thinking of donating and just aren't sure if you can, try putting aside $2 a week until September. Like I said, any amount is welcome!

I'll be posting regularly about breast cancer and keep you all apprised as I train for what is surely going to be the longest and possibly the hardest walk of my life (I haven't been in great shape lately, but I'm committed and I want to do this, even if I can't do the 2-day event)

Until then, please visit and give what you can:




Thanks go to Crisitina Li, a dear friend, whose first generous donation has bolstered my belief that I can reach my goal and surpass it!

No comments: