Monday, May 29, 2006

STT-RRRIIIIIIIKKKEEE!!!

Woke up this morning to a Wildcat TTC strike: yup, so I'm stranded downtown, like lots of others.

Why not get a taxi cab, you ask? Well, if I did that, the terrorists would win. That, and apparently they drivers are price gouging. I heard a story of 3 guys all going to Richmond Hill and the driver demanded $25 for each rider to go to Yonge and Finch from Yonge and Davisville (a trip that shouldn't cost more than maybe $30 total, depending on the traffic).

Ironically enough, it's the kick-off to Bike Week. More ironic: smog alerts pin today's air quality at close to poor (index of 50): that's bad.

The funniest thing: it's Monday. Everyone's going to work, presumably somewhere they don't want to be, and they're going to get there extra cranky after a long walk, an over-priced cab ride, or a traffic. Worse yet: everyone's going to come into work late and smelly.

I say, why gripe? It's a perfect opportunity to extend your weekend. Call in sick! Take the day off! Call in transit striken! Sure, I'm disappointed about not going to work because for once in my life I really, really like what I do and I'm not paid for sick days being on contract, but there's a point where it's just stupid to try to make it out to the middle of nowhere and then try to make it back without wanting to kill everyone.

See, it's all part of the Stress Less plan. Everyone needs to Calm. Down. Can't get it done today? Then finish it tomorrow. As long as you've done your best, that's all you can be expected to do. If anyone expects more, then either 1) you're in the wrong job, or 2) their expectations are
ridiculous. If 1), then all you need to do is find some other avenue of work. That's all there is to it. See, two months of being unemployed has really helped give me perspective...

No comments: