Monday, May 26, 2008

Author upchuckdate...

Gahhhh, finally, the end of May has rolled around and I just fired off my submission to Samhain Publishing's Tickle My Fantasy Anthology. Lover at First Bite is a tale of love, betrayal, intrigue and dental hygiene between a vampire and his dentist. I started writing it in March when I heard about the contest. Cross your fingers.

I also sent off my contest entry to the Toronto Romance Writers Golden Opportunity Contest over the weekend. I sent off the first chapter to my second book, Star Attraction, about a rising Hollywood star who falls for a reclusive has-been starlet he idolized in his teenage years.

I'm waiting for the relief to settle in--May has been completely devoted to the process and discipline of writing at the expense of just about everything else. But something I've discovered about writing and submitting--even when I'm posting to Fanfiction.net--is that I end up holding my breath in anticipation for rejection.

It's a strange existence in which I throw my time and energy into the abyss of expected failure--not because I don't think I'm a good writer, but because that is the reality of the publishing business. One day, though, I will return triumphant, and that day will mean a nice lobster dinner for me and John, who has put up with my obsession.

On a brighter note, I met the very lovely Moor (beyondthemoor) over the weekend for lunch. She's been an excellent sounding board and has always given me brutal honesty about everything I write. One day, I will credit her in my acknowledgments page as being the one who was never afraid to tear me a new one. (Hi, Moor! Thanks for everything!)

I'm going to take my time with my next project, a fantasy story, and just take more time to balance my life and actually enjoy what I do rather than stress over my own self-imposed deadlines. I think I've tortured myself enough--best to take Philip Pullman's advice and just write what I want to write.

No comments: