Sunday, July 16, 2006

Arr, Avast, and all other manner of piratey vernacular, arr

This is week late, but I thought I'd give my thoughts on the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

First off, I wasn't a big fan of the first flick. I thought it was a little over-produced, too long, and could have been edited down. It was still an awesome flick mind you because, hell, Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom as pirates! Arr, I covet their booty...

But I digress. The second film is equally as long, the plot just as contrived, and the film needed some edits around the edges, but it was still lots of fun, with great Deppravity on Captain Jack Sparrow's part, plus lots of gags brought back from the first film. Fun fun fun.

Davy Jones' performance is perfect. Even under two tonnes of makeup, Bill Nighy portrays the tormented octopus-faced Davy Jones wonderfully. His salty seafaring crew, made up of the catch of the day, is equally grotesque, and way cooler to look at than Barbossa's crew of the undead.

Overall, the movie builds wonderfully on the existing story, and will be interesting to see as a trilogy.

Er, can't think of what else to say about the flick, but it was worth the price of matinee admission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey dics did you like the chinese conch pirate? lol