Tuesday, June 08, 2010

It's just hair...it'll grow back...

So after more than 3 years growing, I've finally made the leap and sliced off my hair to donate to children's cancer wigs. That's 13 inches of braided hairy goodness, my friends.



I was inspired by fellow blogger Heather after she sheared her lovely locks--something she does on a regular basis for this cause. And I thought, hey, I have hair, and someone needs it--why not? So over the next two and a half years, I let my hair go, enduring an entire summer of awkward hair hidden beneath kerchiefs.



It seemed safe to do it right after the wedding. Summer was coming, I'd be free of my drain-clogging, face-eating follicles, cut my shampoo usage by 90%, and, as an added bonus, the excess clippings will be sent to the Gulf of Mexico to help with the oil spill clean up efforts.


I thought it would be freeing, life-changing. I thought I'd look good. My requirements for a haircut were simple: easy to take care of, short, and make sure I don't look like a boy.

Now, when I say I don't want to look like a boy, that description includes Justin Bieber.



Lots of people in the salon assured me it looked good and commended me for being so brave. I thought that was weird statement--it's hair, I had it, someone wanted it....here, have my hair. Nothing really brave about that, unless you shave your head. (No, I will not shave my head.)

I'm sure it's just shock settling in. As soon as I style it the way I'm used to, it'll look pretty much the way it always does--like I just rolled out of bed.

Okay. Well, it's just hair. It'll grow back. (Hope you enjoy this, anonymous bald kid.)


Let's count blessings, then, shall we?
  • I've managed to make some poor bald kid out there happy.
  • I'm saving the world. The stylist cut off enough hair to save at least five rare birds...or one cute seal.
  • I won't have to comb my hair for a few months. It's that short and that thin.
  • It's just hair. It'll grow back.
  • Hats fit now.
  • I can dress up as an Asian version of Justin Bieber for Halloween. Or maybe an Asian version of Starbuck.
  • If I get into a catfight, my opponent won't have anything to grab on to.
  • It's just hair. It'll grow back.

On the topic of the Gulf oil spill, I encourage everyone to get their local salons to gather hair clippings and separate them from the garbage to help with the oil spill efforts. I got mine done at Concepts Day Spa and Salon at Cumberland Terrace. Get your hair cut and save the sea!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

It looks so good! You're crazy! Or maybe I love Justin Bieber? No, you're crazy.

Malina said...

Hair to clean up teh oil spill eh? Are you sure they're not collecting our DNA down South to clone us?

celestialspeedster said...

I wish I could go back to short hair but very few women look better with short hair than long hair. Halle Berry is the only one who comes to mind immediately. But you're right; it will grow back. Just enjoy the convenience and experiment with accessories in the meantime.

Anonymous said...

I'm teaching a little girl with leukemia right now and she was all freaked out about returning to school with no hair...you've made some little kid feel braver about facing the world. If it will make you feel better, I will donate my hair to you. :)