Friday, December 04, 2009

To Whom It May Concern...

We've started receiving Christmas cards for the former and now deceased owner of our house. Up until now, I've written Return to Sender--Deceased on all mail for her. Most of it was from charities she probably donated to. But something tells me treating Christmas cards from friends overseas would be...how should I put this...dickish.

What do I do? Write a letter Regretting to inform you to the sender? Do I forward personal mail to the deceased's son, who is probably still heartbroken over her death? I don't know if I want to bother him with it during the holidays.

Help? Advice?

2 comments:

Flocons said...

The snarky (but honest) thing to do would be to say that the recipient no longer lives here... with emphasis on "lives". But seriously, just hang onto the cards and don't respond.

Unknown said...

i'd call the son and ask him if he'd like to have them, he should probably be the one to respond to the people sending cards as he is family of the deceased. if he says he can't handle it then offer to write these people maybe? if they're close enough to give her xmas cards then they should be informed either way.