Sunday, December 06, 2009

Smartikus J. Cat, Destroyer of Worlds

It's been a little over a month since we adopted Smartikus, and he's all settled in and comfortable now. Perhaps a little too comfortable.

It's hard to determine most days if he's being affectionate or just a jerk because he knows he can get away with it. Even as I'm typing this post, he is purring and getting right in my face so that he can get a shot at my cereal milk. I'm trying to ignore him, but he keeps tapping me: just a little reminder that he's here. Tap, tap, tap. Hi, Mommy, gimme yur fud.

And now he's pushed my elbow and made me spill a spoonful of cereal down my front.

Other affectionately jerky things he's been up to:

  • Chewing through both mine and John's cell phone charger cords (that's just plain jerky)
  • Waking me up just before my alarm goes off every morning by jumping on me, poking my face, giving me wet willies (he actually licks his paw and smears it all over my face and, if he can, my mouth)
  • Attacking my hands or feet if I try to sleep in too late. (Mommy, wake up! Wake up! The sun's out! Wake up! GIVE ME LUV!!!)
  • Sitting directly in front of my computer screen and helping me write (No, Mommy, I like this letter ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;)
  • Sitting right on top of my overtime manuscripts, no matter where I put them (I help you, Mommy! I keep the plot under my bum!)
  • Climbing onto my back and shoulders at least once every day--I can't decide if this is some display of dominance or affection (I shnuggle! I shnuggle you lots! AND NOW I BITE YOUR ELBOW AND RIBS!)


Other fun things we've learned about Smarty:

  • He plays fetch with balls of crumpled up paper. No dollar-store toys for him!
  • He's bananas for bananas.
  • If he likes you, he'll reach out and put a paw on you and give you a meaningful look, just to let you know he's there for you, bro.
  • He talks a lot.
  • He has cold kitty breath. Very odd to feel when you're sleeping and he decides to give you a little nuzzle.
  • One of his favorite places to be: on top of the fridge, where he can survey his domain and watch the squirrels outside.

Despite the jerkiness, he always makes up for his bad behaviour by being shnuggly. He really is our dream cat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just like Bowie and Avery but no diapers!

Unknown said...

Awwww...I just popped in to see if you were enjoying Smartikus, and I LOVE this post. I can picture him doing EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of those things, and then being the most giant sweet kitty on the planet to make you forget what a little jerk he is.

Please give him a giant hug and a head rub for me!

ho ho ho,
Anita

Unknown said...

Oh! And if you love the banana reaction, try kiwis! He's a total fruit machine!

Unknown said...

i like how you're now a mommy. that mean you're gonna have kids?