Saturday, December 06, 2008

Agent of Chaos


I recently found myself facing a moral dilemma pertaining to my noncareer as a writer that had my stomach squelching uncomfortably (and anyone who knows me knows that when my tummy squelches, it's time to break out the Immodium and gas masks. Eeew.)

About a year ago, I subscribed to a particular literary agent's e-mail newsletter, believing it to be a useful source of information on the publishing industry. For a while, I read the weekly e-mail, though I probably should've learned to skip the long-winded diatribes about the agent's life and family much faster.

Some months ago, the agent posted a contest where the prize would be working with her and having her basically represent the winner. I submitted with some confidence that I might attract some attention. Not that I would have been crushed if I didn't win, but I have to stay optimistic.

A week or so before the U.S. elections, she sent out a long newsletter that had absolutely nothing to do with her profession, pushing a particular candidate and making some rather charged (and quite skewed) political statements about the other candidate and opposing party's platform.

Now, I don't normally go off on what other people believe, politically speaking. But when you send e-mails out to people who have signed up to your newsletter wanting publishing industry info and such, they don't expect anecdotes about their ten-year-old daughter's political choices as dictated or prompted by their mothers.

Thinking this might be an anomaly, I continued to receive the newsletter. But this was not the last I heard about her candidate of choice. After the elections, said agent continued to bitterly make digs at the supporters of the other guy, showing everyone just how unprofessional and biased she was. Judging by her vitriolic response in the following newsletters and on her blog to those who complained, I could only imagine what working with her must be like.

So I unsubscribed to the newsletter. I had no choice--her comments and behavior were less than unprofessional and were entirely unworthy of someone who should be open to all ideas, all people from all walks of life who believe in all kinds of different things.

And now I am faced with the possible--but highly unlikely--chance that I may get a call telling me I've won this contest to contract her as an agent. If it does happen, I don't think I would be able to accept. While I'm fairly certain I can keep my mouth shut about political views, she's proven she can't and that she'll ridicule anyone who opposes her beliefs.

I can respect a person for having views. But I can't abide by the fact she decided to push them through my mail slot, even though I asked her not to send me trash.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

American politics have partially disolved into a insult-hurling-fest-in-a-glass-house. It's not how good their guy is, it's how bad the other guy is. I think it's because there isn't any good left in American politics.

As for your moral dilemma, I suggest that you keep up with those who don't share your political view, lest you become like their close mindedness. Of course that may be over taxing, and in which case, disregard my silly advice.