Saturday, August 30, 2008

When bad writing gets worse

The TRW sent along a link on an Amazon discussion board about some of the most overused and cliched phrases that typically appear in romance books.

Read the hilarity here.

As someone who comes across these phrases on a day-to-day basis, I have to say that they're at least a little more comforting and familiar than the ones that try to be fresh and unique. "He slid into her like a hot knife," or "when he came, it was like a gun going off inside her" or "she opened her mouth like a baby bird to receive him" are not phrases I ever want to see in romance. And yet, I have....

A few more classic lines for you that'll make you beg for "he slanted his mouth over hers" (if I've already posted these, forgive me, but they are worth repeating).:


YOU ARE FOREWARNED OF BAD TASTE AND GENERAL BADNESS:


"My goal is to blow you up and, baby, I’m about to make you explode all over the place."
If a guy said this to me, I'd be searching him for grenades.


"His words made every single cell in her body multiply with excitement."
Cancerific arousal!


"This was what you called total mouth concentration, the solicitation of participation and the promise of satisfaction."
"Have you ever heard of the emancipation proclamation?" "I don't listen to hip hop." --South Park


"If she were some kind of sexual grenade, he’d have been honor-bound to take her down, to blanket her with his body and prevent the explosion from maiming the other males in the vicinity."
Another great explosion metaphor. What really gets me about this line is the fact that the man is "honor-bound" to blow himself up on her explosive sexuality. I'd be honor-bound to RUN AWAY.


"She licked him like a lollipop, only his unique taste was strictly adult candy. He groaned and writhed beneath her feast."
Mmm, adult candy. Enjoy a Tax Lollipop, or Bag O' Mortgage Sugar today!


"He’d sprouted a hammer between his legs, iron hard and clamoring for her grip."
Wow, hardware sex. Now, if only I could write a plumbing fixture metaphor...no, wait, that's too easy... Something about a screwdriver...? Nah....


"Like a child with a new doll—a doll with an erection—she ran her fingers through his hair and trailed them down the side of his face and neck."
What the hell, Mattel? First Barbie and Ken break up, and now you're passing out Woody the Pedo Ranger?


"His huge manhood stood up as if he carried a policeman’s club between his legs."
Just the sexy image I want before being bedded: police brutality.

No comments: