Saturday, January 20, 2007

Squee....

If you haven't heard me rant about these books before, you'll hear it now.

Go read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy: The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; and The Amber Spyglass. The filming for the movie, starring Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Eva Green and others is done, and it's in post-production, to be released sometime this year.

I nearly peed myself seeing that some production stills were put up on IMDB. Of course, even with the flop of Eragon (I might add, I didn't enjoy the book all that much whereas I LOVED His Dark Materials), my hopes are high for this film. Why? Because it has talking armored polar bears. Or at least, the book does.

What's really troubling me is that I don't see any of the daemons--shape-shifting animal counterparts everyone in this alternate universe is connected with--in the stills, but that might be because they haven't added them in yet (they also talk, so maybe they'll all be CGI. Who can say?)

I can only hope that, while Pullman had been initially very impressed with the adaptation the writers had worked on, we don't end up with another ruined children's fantasy. I don't think my heart can take any more.

And for all you Neil Gaiman fans: SQUEE.

No comments: