Wednesday, October 04, 2006

If smut had a Giller prize...

As many of you know, I have the distinguished honour and deepest pleasure (not in the dirty way) of being a proofreader at Harlequin Enterprises. I began in May, and now, finally, some of the books I've read and worked on have finally been published and are now available!

Here, I bring you some of the titles you simply must read because, hell, the premises are great (read: hilarious), they're actually well-written (read: not crap), and they'll tickle your fancy (read: make you horny...or turn you off sex forever).

The Pleasure Chest by Jule McBride (Harlequin Blaze):
A 19th-century Irish pirate/artist mysteriously and magically comes back to life through a painting heroine Tanya Taylor acquires. Why's it called0 The Pleasure Chest? Because of the...erm...toys she keeps locked up in a chest at the foot of her bed. I tell's ya folks, this is my marker for greatness at this company. And I get paid to read this stuff! I LOVE IT!

Dressed to Slay by Harper Allen (Silhouette Bombshell):
It's Buffy meets Charmed meets Underworld meets Blade meets...um...some chick flick with lots of shopping and name brands. Seriously, when I was reading this, I couldn't stop groaning, and I don't mean the sexy kind of groaning. And yet, by the time I got to the second book in this trilogy, Vampaholic, I was hooked, mainly because of the over-the-top ditzy dialogue courtesy of the series' three fabulous kitten-heel-clad heroines. Worth a borrow from your local public library.

Where We Were Born by Margot Early (Harlequin Superromance):
Admittedly, this story is more like the traditional cheesy romance novel we're accustomed to hearing about, but I actually really enjoyed this one because of the family issues it was dealing with. Basically, chick who runs a dating guidance service opens a location in Alaska, her old stomping grounds...meets up with an old fling...hilarity ensues. But what made this one worthwhile was the stories of her experiences growing up on the trapline in the Alaskan boonies, and her broken relationship with her estranged man-of-the-land father. Easy read, great for the bus, and it isn't Joseph Heller or anything.

More titles to come! Buy these now at your local bookstore/Shoppers Drug Mart!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vicki vicki vicki, pimping your companys trash to your friends and fans.

WWJWS? (What would Josh Whedon say?)

Vicki said...

If you'd read these books, you'd wanna pimp them too. I mean, COME ON!
IRISH! PIRATE! PAINTER! BACK TO LIFE! MAGIC PAINTING!! That's so freakin' awesome I die of the pain it causes!