Monday, January 31, 2005

Beginning anew

Okay, I admit I'm kinda new to this whole weblog thing. I'm surrounded by people who don't know what it is, and when I say I have a blog, they all make "bluh?" noises.

So here's my blog. I had started with an idea, and I wanted to talk about my lost dog Yoshi, but I think that in the spirit of this blog, I should just write daily about nothing particular, thus wasting valuable time you could be doing productive things with.... like volunteering at a soup kitchen, or spending time with your family, or achieving your long-standing dream of being the only miniature maker who uses Cheez Whiz and fake snow as your media.

So here's two thoughts to start with: is the spelling "valuable" or "valuble"? Obviously the first, but as I typed the word out, it didn't look write or sound write (rite/right/wryt/ryt/reyett). I had a similar discussion today with a friend: why is it "Feb-ru-ary"? People inevitably end up saying "Feb-u-ary" without the "bru". I looked the chilly month up in Wikipedia and actually learned something today. Hooray for the Internet! I'd like to credit my curiosity to my boyfriend John, whose blog Dymaxion World is far superior to mine. I recommend you go there now, as I have little of import (oh-ho! so that's why...) to say.

A second thought: and it has nothing to do with the first.

I'm a big fan of Labyrinth, the Jim Henson film from the 80s starring David Bowie and Jennifer "Academy Award-Winning Actress" Connelly. I was perusing the IMDB when I came upon an entry about the making of the Labyrinth movie, which is included on the DVD. I'd seen this doc before, and saw this dance coordinator who looked exactly like Gates McFadden, aka Dr. Beverly Crusher of Star Trek: TNG. The only thing was that she's credited as Cheryl McFadden on the Labyrinth doc. Hmm, I said, and left it at that, thinking it must be her older, blonde sister. Not even the fine ladies at the Merril Collection of Science Fiction could speculate who the Mystery McFadden was (I should mention I worked there for a glorious but brief two years. If you're a nerd and live in Toronto, please visit them.)

Thank god for IMDB. Sure enough, Cheryl McFadden IS Gates McFadden. So that whole "dancing doctor" thing wasn't just a gimmick to get McFadden to show off her talents. (Not.)

More to post later, since multiposts seem to be the thing to do.

No comments: