Thursday, April 20, 2006

Worst. Job Fair. Ever.

I brushed off my resume and blazer and made a trip down to the National Job Fair and Training Expo at the Metro Convention Centre. It might as well be called Workopolis Live - there was no one there worth working for... as a writer, anyhow. All the jobs were for administrative assistants and sales people and financial experts. I swear, is that all the work that's available out there? How many sales agents does the world need?

The highlight of the fair was going to each of the agencies and being asked, "So what kind of job are you looking for?" To which I'd reply, "Oh, I'm a writer..." and they would give me this disapproving look like I'd just told them I killed puppies for a living and say, "I can tell you right away we never get openings in publishing or printing or media." And then they'd give me their branded merchandise - a highlighter for circling jobs in the newspaper, or a magnet for polarizing my needles. Yay.

On the upside, if you want a job in a retail store, they have a whole pavillion dedicated to retail shops like The Shoe Company and Loblaws and Laura Secord. While I like money, I'm not desperate enough to work retail just yet.

Meanwhile, I'm still on the hunt for THE job for me. It may come later rather than sooner, but I've been so busy putting the new apartment together, I don't know where my time is going. And I'm still really, really, REALLY agonizing over my last job. I find myself clenching every time I even THINK about it. Grr. I hate stress.

But life goes on, as it must, and so I go with it.

4 comments:

emily pound said...

Hi Vicki,

I attended the Job Fair too, on the 2nd day, and stood in line for about an hour to get my resume appraised. Which was actually good, I heard most people had a 2-hour wait. Anyway, I found it useful as finding a lot of agencies who help you find work, re-train you, etc. I picked up quite a bit of literature from them.

I didn't bother with the agency booths at all. I used to work as a temp many many years ago, and if I can help it, I don't intend to again. What a waste. Why go to a job fair to sign up with an agency? You can do that anytime.

I like your blog, and your sense of humour. Check out my blog too, I did an entry on the Job Fair called "Pimpin' My Ride" :-)

We writers have to stick together.

Keep the faith!

Flocons said...

Oddly enough, I also saw the job fair when my co-workers and I went to the Health Informatics Expo at the Metro Convention Centre. One of my co-workers saw the Job Fair as we were headed to the South Building and said: "That looks like a pretty lame job fair." I responded: "Don't call it lame just yet... you haven't seen the Informatics Expo yet." True enough, my expo was far more lame that your job fair. So congrats on that.

Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton