Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Fiona's STILL in the ER, part II.. and milkless me, part 1 of 8 turned on its side

Yep, still there, and her colonoscopy has been postponed yet again.
I didn't go to see her today - I was cleaning up the house in anticipation of her return. I'm sure the last thing she needs to see at home is a giant mess.

Meanwhile, on the subject of bowels, I think I've determined that I am lactose intolerant. I've had various stomach problems most of my life, ranging from the gut-wrenching pains like those Fiona has, to mild indigestion, gas, bloating, and the like. I decided after one particularly uncomfortable bout to heed the suggestion of a few websites and start eliminating things from my diet, starting with wheat. Milk was second, and its elimination proved to substantially lessen my overall queasiness.

Problem is, I really like milk. I have cereal 6 days a week. I really like cereal. Now I'll have to eat it with soy milk, or something weird like that. Flocons de Mais will probably suggest beer. Unfortunately, beer definitely contributes to my oogy-tummy feelings.

I don't know why I'm discussing my tummy problems openly on the net. Then again, I discuss them with anyone who will listen, or at least not walk away while I'm talking at them.

Blogs sure are fun that way...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh the gas and the farting and the pooping.

I was lactose intolerant for three months. Yes, 90 days. Apparently you can pick up a bug that will make your body hate, hate milky-type stuff for a short period of time.

So maybe it will go away? But if you've had it your whole life, then...?

The best way to test, I'm told (I wrote an article, me being "let's talk about my pooping with all of Durham Region!") is to completely cut out milk and milk accessories for a week and see how you feel.

Anyway, I hope you don't have to give up milky goodness.

C-Fo